Mobileum offers a signaling firewall with upgrade to secure standalone 5G
Mobileum is a developer of analytics-based roaming and risk management technology for mobile network operators (MNOs). In October last year, it acquired signaling firewall vendor Evolved Intelligence and now offers that company's product with an upgrade that enables it to secure the signaling in 5G networks. This report focuses on Mobileum's signaling firewall offering.
- Signaling is not encrypted in 2G, 3G, or 4G networks.
- Special firewalls look at Signaling System 7 (SS7) signaling in 2G and 3G and Diameter signaling in 4G to defend against malicious activity.
- The open network nature of 5G, with parties other than operators accessing the signaling network, increases the potential attack surface.
- In 5G, the Security Edge Protection Proxy (SEPP) standard enables encryption and signing of signaling messages.
- Mobileum's signaling firewall supports SEPP via an upgrade, enabling it to inspect 5G signaling traffic.